Docent in Climate Law & Policy (Adjunct Professor)
Yamineva’s primary area of expertise is international climate law and governance, where she has published on the UN negotiations' process, climate finance, and short-lived climate pollutants (black carbon, methane). She has been participating in the UN climate negotiations in various capacities for more than a decade. She has also conducted research on national climate policies (China, Russia). Other topics include air pollution law and science-policy interface.
This work has been published in leading academic journals including Nature Climate Change, Earth Systems Governance, Environmental Science and Policy, and Transnational Environmental Law. Yamineva has also contributed to several major UN and other policy reports, most recently the 2019 UNEP-CCAC report 'Air Pollution in the Asia-Pacific: Science-based Solutions'.
Yamineva's approach to research is interdisciplinary drawing on the fields of international environmental law, and global environmental politics and governance. She participates in several large multidisciplinary projects and closely collaborates with climate scientists.
Yamineva holds Ph.D. in International Studies from the University of Cambridge. Following doctoral research, she worked in the intergovernmental negotiations for UN Climate Change Convention Secretariat (climate finance) and International Institute for Sustainable Development.
Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies, Law School
- Global Environmental Politics
- Climate Change Law & Policy
- Raihanatul Jannat, PhD project ‘Role of transnational climate law in enhancing socio-economic resilience through gender-based adaptation: case studies from Bangladesh and the Finnish Arctic”, started in 2020
- Firuz Suleymanov, PhD project ‘The impact of Azerbaijan – Armenia conflict on the environment in the South Caucasus: the role of water in the conflict’, joint supervision with the Department of Geographical and Historical Studies, started in 2020
- Saga Eriksson, PhD project 'EU sustainable finance legislation: Towards creation of green markets and agency?', started in 2022
- Moritz Petersmann, PhD project 'Fit for governing modern wicked problems? International science-policy interfaces under scrutiny', started in 2022
Research groups and research projects
- Slowing Down Climate Change: Combining Climate Law and Climate Science to Identify the Best Options to Reduce Emissions of Short-lived Climate Forcers in Developing Countries (ClimaSlow project 2017-2022, European Research Council, PI - Kulovesi): Research on regulation of SLCPs internationally and in China.
- Atmosphere and Climate Competence Center (2021 - 2024 , Academy of Finland Flagship funding): Co-coordinator of the research programme on Climate impacts and adaptation, and member of several impact task groups.
A Legal Perspective on Climate Finance Debates: How Constructive Is the Current Norm Ambiguity?. Yamineva, Yulia / Debating Climate Law. 2021. 2021
Allan, Jennifer; Yamineva, Yulia. 2021. 3. Global climate Yearbook of international environmental law [ePub ahead of print 20 Nov 2021]: 1-3. 2021
China in the Arctic: Climate Agenda as a Space for Multilateral Cooperation amidst Great Power Competition. Yamineva, Yulia / Nordic-Baltic connectivity with Asia via the Arctic: Assessing opportunities and risks. 2021. 2021
Hughes, Hannah; Vadrot, Alice; Allan, Jen Iris; Bach, Tracy; Bansard, Jennifer S.; Chasek, Pamela; Gray, Noella; Langlet, Arne; Leiter, Timo; Marion Suiseeya, Kimberly R.; Martin, Beth; Paterson, Matthew; Ruiz-Rodríguez, Silvia Carolina; Wysocki, Ina Tessnow-von; Tolis, Valeria; Thew, Harriet; Gonçalves, Marcela Vecchione; Yamineva, Yulia. 2021. Global environmental agreement-making: Upping the methodological and ethical stakes of studying negotiations Earth system governance 10: 100121. 2021
Opportunities for Climate Litigation in Russia: the Impossibility of the Possible. Yamineva, Yulia / Comparative Climate Change Litigation: Beyond the Usual Suspects. 2021. 2021
Allan, Jennifer; Yamineva, Yulia. 2021. 3. Global Climate Yearbook of international environmental law 2019; 30 1: 245-250. 2021
China, Climate Change and the Arctic Environment. Kopra, Sanna; Hurri, Karoliina; Kauppila, Liisa; Stepien, Adam; Yulia Yamineva, Yulia / Chinese policy and presence in the Arctic. 2020. 2020
Air Pollution in Asia and the Pacific: Science-Based Solutions. Hong, Yun-Chul; Hicks, Kevin; Balakrishnan, Kalpana; Pillarisetti, Ajay; Yamanashita, Ken; Yusoff, Khalid; Panday, Arnico; Rupakheti, Maheswar; Mar, Kathleen; Tanaka, Katsumasa; Gul, Chaman; Takemura, Toshihiko; Kim Oanh, Nguyen Thi; Hiroyuki, Sase; Agrawal, Madhoolika; Steiner, Allison; Emberson, Lisa; Permadi, Didin Agustian; Lei, Duan; Zhaozhong, Feng; et al.. 2019 2019
Yamineva, Yulia; Liu, Zhe. 2019. Cleaning the air, protecting the climate: Policy, legal and institutional nexus to reduce black carbon emissions in China Environmental science and policy 95: 1-10. 2019
Yamineva, Yulia; Kulovesi, Kati. 2018. Keeping the Arctic White: The Legal and Governance Landscape for Reducing Short-Lived Climate Pollutants in the Arctic Region Transnational Environmental Law 7 2: 201-227. 2018